The Contract & Claims Management Officer is responsible for drafting, negotiating, structuring, interpreting, executing, and/or administering contractual documents.
1. Drives contract lifecycle from drafting through completion of the negotiation process, and/or contract execution. Manages contract change control process and related correspondence requiring legal input.
2. Administers and coordinates claims resulting from contracts, provides information and guidance to project members and contractors on applicable rules and procedures and act as the liaison with the relevant stakeholders.
3. Participates in the enforcement of contracts in consultation with Procurement and relevant stakeholders, as appropriate, including
a. Maintains work program and schedule for ongoing contracts and newly-planned ones.
b. Develop, review and evaluate legal documents such as contracts, license, sales, SLAs, MOUs, agreements, project acceptance letters and all documentation and highlight legal implications.
c. Drafts, manages, distributes, responds to, or analyzes RFIs, RFPs, RFQs or customer terms & conditions as needed.
d. Prepares and implements contract close outs reports and lessons learned, including identifying, documenting and disseminating best practices and lessons learned and performing final contractor performance assessment within the terms and conditions of the contract.
e. Liaises with other departments and relevant stakeholders in relation to handling of claims and disputes, demanding specific performance, claiming against warranties, and other contractual remedies.
f. Drafts relevant audit responses, as required.
4. Maintains electronic and hardcopy files and records to ensure proper accountability.
5. Performs other related duties as required and other functions as assigned.
The Contract & Claims Management Officer should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
a) Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and legal practices, and ensure that own behaviour is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
b) Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
c) Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
d) Foster Teamwork: Work co-operatively and effectively with staff and external legal advisors to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
e) Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
f) Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions, which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
g) Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
h) Plan: Determine legal strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
i) Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
j) Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
• A minimum of three to five years of progressively responsible experience in providing contracts management in the areas of large and complex projects.
• Experience in successfully processing claims and change orders is required.
5. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
i. LLB(or its equivalent) and minimum of 2nd class upper B.L degree from a reputable institution
ii. Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association
iii. Knowledge of contracting concepts and contract acquisition law and regulations
iv. Exceptional oral, written, interpersonal skills & flair for legal research.
v. Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
vi. Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
vii. Proficient in Microsoft Office suite i. Membership of the Nigerian Institute of Management is an added advantage
ii. Experience in legislative drafting
iii. An LL.M Master’s degree would be an added advantage