Chief Technical Officer
• Responsible for directing the company’s technical plans and deploying all company’s Technical Solutions, Products and Services
• He is very integral in the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth.
1. Organizational Level: Executive Management
2. Job Department: Technical Department
3. Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
a. Head, Engineering Design
b. Head, Project Management Office
c. Head, Sub-Contracting Committee
d. Head, Project Monitoring & Control Unit
e. Resource Development Manager
f. Manager, Community, Health, Safety and Environment
g. Head, Procurement and Logistics
• Oversees ALL company technical products, services and activities towards revenue generation covering but not limited to Engineering Services, Project Management, Engineering and Construction expert services.
• Ownership of the company’s Technology strategy, providing visible leadership for the company within the technology community and leading the execution of technology strategy for platforms, partnerships and external relationships
• With the COO, representing the company before Financial, Government and Technical Regulatory Forces, defending company’s objectives and decisions.
• Provide industry trends, opportunities for expansion and projection of future company growth, not limited to local opportunities but with strong awareness of Global perspectives.
• Develop with a technical efficiency and awareness, polices and standards that are aimed at ensuring optimal utilization of the company/departmental resources for the overall achievement of the company’s set objectives; long-term and periodic.
• Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions and commitments of the company.
• Take charge of the delivery of the entire technical and operational functions (design, engineering, tendering, project management) of Transmission (extra high voltage & high voltage) and distribution construction projects, and utility system and other large construction projects that have significant electrical engineering components.
• Plan, budget, coordinate, execute, monitor and likewise close up of all projects exceeding the satisfaction of customers with the utilization of modern machinery, equipment, tools and techniques for cost effectiveness, timely completion of the projects and quality compliance.
• Employ a good understanding of the development and application of standard times, cost and operating procedures to ensure consistency in the performance of the company in engaged projects.
• Lead the Technical Division to effectively and efficiently deliver all projects with constant improvement of quality, reliability, performance, profitability and reputation of the company, keeping in view customer needs and satisfaction, of course meeting statutory and regulatory requirement.
• Ensure that all Contracts/Sub-contract are clearly and fully executed with high compliance to modern operational strategy, methodology and equipment.
• In performing this role, you shall ensure the following;
o Develop capable managers and team leads in each project team and expertise circle
o Implementation of effective program, to build critical core competencies and organizational effectiveness.
o Ensure proper establishment, documentation, implementation, control and maintenance of Quality, Cost, Labour and Time Management Systems
o Conduct regular Review Meetings of projects, identify challenges and decide action plans.
o Ensure coordination and resolution of issues amongst departments relating to projects, cash flow, contracts and sub-contracts.
o Assessment of training needs of Technical personnel and implementation of training plan and program on continuous basis.
o Management is properly guided on all Technical Advancement decisions to be made
o All staff of the Technical Division are evaluated against agreed performance objectives at pre-defined periods set by the HR function of the company
o Provision of coaching and counseling as necessary to all staff of the department
III. Reporting and Analysis
• Develop and Review Projects reports and present to the Management Team and Managing Director and when requested by the Board the following reports by Monthly, Quarterly, Bi-Annually and Annually but not limited to;
o Milestone Status on all Projects
o Operational Improvements for Future Growth and Sustainability
• Review and monitor business operating reports, ensuring effectiveness as to analyze the following;
o Risk Assessments of all Projects
o Operating Margins on each Project
o Design consistency and constructability analysis
• Provide long-range economic trends reports reflecting opportunities that exist in the industry, identifying our;
o Growth Against Market/Industry
o Global and Competitive Technology Standards for Operating Efficiencies
Key Result Areas:
1. Financial Perspective
I. % of Actual Revenue to Target
II. Total procured and spent as % of total Project Value
2. Internal Process Perspective
I. No. of Contract Liability and Project Defaults
II. No. of Milestones as when due
3. Customers and Service Efficiency
I. Internal service satisfaction survey rating
II. Respond to customers/interdependent departments in (< 30 minutes)
4. Projects Management
I. Material flow to achieve completion at agreed milestones
II. Volume of Project Milestones per given time
Skills, Competencies and Requirements:
a. General Requirements:
Experienced in strategic planning and execution.
Ability to analyze financial data
Ability and proven experience in managing, motivating and communicating with interdependent groups of people is essential
Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
b. Specific Requirements:
Functional Skills and Competencies
a. Technical expertise in power management and power distribution design
b. Technical expertise in architecture, design and development
c. Technical expertise in industry standards for power supply design
d. Ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines
e. Analyze and apply data to improve results
Qualifications and Experience:
a. B.Sc/HND Engineeering Programs and added with MBA
b. Minimum experience of 20 years out of which 5 years should have been managing a large electrical engineering construction department or division
c. Must be member of a professional engineering body: COREN, NSE, IEE etc.
d. Experience should include planning, budgeting, executing, monitoring and cash flow management of complex projects
e. Proficiency in an ERP Solutions and with competencies in Project Management, CAD and Microsoft Office/Prima Vera (PMO)
c. Desired Personal Attributes:
Strong cerebral capacity
Ability to work with all levels of management, build partnerships and teams
Highly organized and significant ability to multi-task effectively
Ability to cope with and work under pressure